TRENDING

Thursday, 19 February 2026

‎Court Adjourns Suit Challenging Owa Obokun Coronation, Fixes Dates for Preliminary Objection and Trial ‎





VIDEO: Taiwo Kupolati (SAN) of Authority Chambers Speaks

Click 👆 on the image to watch 

‎The High Court of Justice sitting in Ilesa, Osun State, has adjourned proceedings in the suit challenging the installation and coronation of Owa Clement Adesuyi Haastrup as the Owa Obokun of Ijesaland.

At the sitting held on Thursday, February 19, 2026, the court fixed March 25, 2026, for the hearing of a preliminary objection, while the substantive trial is scheduled to commence on April 29, 2026.



‎The suit was instituted by the Arimoro family of the Bilaro Oluodo Ruling House, contesting the process that led to the emergence of Prince Haastrup as the 41st Owa Obokun of Ijesaland. The trial, which was initially slated for Thursday, could not proceed after the defence requested additional time to prepare its preliminary objection.



‎Presiding judge, Justice J. M. Agboola, cautioned against delay tactics, stressing that the court would not tolerate unnecessary hindrances to the administration of justice. “Any lawyer who deliberately delays justice is a disgrace to the profession,” he warned.



‎Speaking with journalists after the proceedings, Taiwo Kupolati (SAN) of Authority Chambers, counsel to the claimants, said he had come prepared for trial and had witnesses on standby before the adjournment. He explained that the new dates would allow the court to properly consider all issues raised and directed parties to file and exchange necessary pleadings.



‎Kupolati expressed confidence in the case, noting that the preliminary objection would be addressed at the next sitting before the trial begins. “Our case is solid. We are progressing with efficiency and vigilance, trusting that justice will prevail,” he stated.


‎The Arimoro family had earlier challenged the coronation of Prince Haastrup, conducted on May 23, 2025, by the Osun State Government. They alleged that the selection and coronation process violated the established customs and traditions of Ijesaland.



‎The suit, marked HIL/8/2025 at the Ilesa High Court, lists Prince Haastrup and ten others as defendants.



‎Prince Adewale Michael Arimoro, a contestant for the Owa Obokun stool from the Arimoro family, maintained that the coronation does not invalidate the pending legal challenge. “Litigation may take time, but justice will prevail. Our position is that the procedure that produced Prince Haastrup was not in line with the tradition of Ijesaland. We will continue to pursue the matter lawfully,” he said.


‎The Arimoro family, represented by Prince Kayode Michael Adewale Arimoro and Prince Adedire Adegoke Arimoro, Global Coordinator of the Arimoro Lineage of the Bilaro Oluodo Dynasty, described the selection process as compromised and contrary to Ijesa tradition and culture.



‎Other defendants in the suit include Prince Clement Adesuyi Haastrup (for himself and the Ajimoko/Haastrup Royal Family), High Chief Ibitoye Folorunsho Adeniyi (Obanla of Ijesaland), Oba (Engr.) Moses Oluwafemi Agunsoye (Elegboro of Ijebu-Jesa), Oba Festus Kayode Awogboro (Alademure of Ibokunland), High Chief Saka Fapohunda (Ogboni of Ilesa), the Agba Ijesa of Ijesaland, Ijesa Central Traditional Council, the Executive Governor of Osun State, the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Osun State, and Ilesa West Local Government.




No comments:

Post a Comment