TRENDING

Tuesday, 17 March 2020

Another Coronavirus case recorded in Lagos; 2020 National Spots Festival Postponed


The Lagos State Government on Tuesday said another case of the deadly Coronavirus has been recorded in Lagos, bringing to three the cases recorded in Nigeria.

According to Lagos Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, the new case of Coronavirus is a 30-year-old Nigerian woman, a member of Non- Government Organization community, who travelled from UK to Lagos on 13th of March, 2020.

“She is now in isolation and receiving care at Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.

“Red circle Contact tracing of all passengers and all those who may have come in contact with this latest case has commenced,” he said.

Abayomi said the woman travelled to the UK and came back on March 13 on British Airways 75.

He explained that the woman went into self-isolation and was only in contact with her family.

Abayomi added that the woman lived with her parents, saying that the entire family had been moved to the IDH, Yaba for isolation to see if they would develop symptoms of the virus.

The commissioner said while the woman had been moved to isolation I ward for treatment, those who boarded the plane with her would be traced.

He said people in the flight with the woman should contact the government for appropriate advice on what to do.

According to him, government would be doing aggressive contact tracing .

He said the woman was doing well as she did not need serious care at the moment, saying she was calm and comfortable.

Meanwhile, The 20th National Sports Festival  billed to flag off in Benin City, Edo State, this weekend has been postponed.

The Minister for Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare, made the announcement on Tuesday via his official Twitter handle.
The minister, who had earlier revealed that the sports ministry was meeting with the counterparts in the health ministry, confirmed that President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate postponement of the biannual multi-sporting event to a later date yet to be decided.
He wrote: “President Mohammadu Buhari approves the postponement of the National Sports Festival Edo 2020 as a precautionary move against COVID-19 spread.
“Following the briefing from myself and health Minister.
“Following the briefing of Mr. President from myself and the Minister of State for Health on COVID 19, Mr President approved the immediate postponement of Edo Sports festival to a future date.”
Before this official announcement, there had been calls in different quarters to postpone the National Sports Festival due to the ravaging coronavirus pandemic.
According to the organisers, about 11,000 athletes and their officials had declared readiness to participate in this edition tagged Edo 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment