Monday 26 December 2022

Female Lawyer Shot Dead by the Police on Christmas Day

A trigger-happy police officer attached to the Ajiwe police station has been arrested for killing a lawyer, Omobolanle Raheem.

Ms Raheem was shot dead on Christmas Day by the yet-to-be-named cop.

The incident happened at Ajah under the bridge along the Lekki-Epe expressway. 

The lawyer died after the policeman opened fire on a vehicle she was riding in with her husband after returning from a church service on Christmas day.

After killing the victim, the officer and other police operatives fled the scene.

A lawyer identified as Yvonne narrated what transpired in a post on social media. 

“I am Barr. Yvonne, a member of the NBA Lagos Branch. Sir, I tried reaching out to you, but I guess you are busy. My boss Barr Omobolanle Raheem was shot dead today by a POLICE OFFICER on her way back from Xmas service at Ajah under bridge,” Ms Yvonne said. 

Ms Yvonne added, “Her family just called me now, that they need a lawyer to stand in for them before the police change the narrative. They have taken the matter to Ajiwe Police Station. The police officer is from Ajiwe station. Her husband was the one driving, Barr. Omobolanle was seated in the front with her husband.”

Ms Yvonee narrated the accused officer asked the couple to park, “and they needed the vehicle in front to move so they can park well, and immediately the police officer shot at a close range right into her chest.” 

She added, “On seeing what happened, the remaining police officers on duty there absconded. After a while, some policemen came and moved her body to the mortuary in Yaba without obtaining any consent from her family members. Currently, her family has located where they moved her body to. I am currently not in Lagos. I thought of bringing this to you for your assistance and guidance, ma. Thank you.”

The police command in Lagos has confirmed the killing. 

Benjamin Hundeyin, the command’s spokesman, said an investigation has commenced, and the accused officer handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department. 

“Unfortunate and avoidable incident that was. The ASP that shot and two others with him have since been taken into custody. They are to be moved to the SCID for further investigation,” Mr Hundeyin said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment