TRENDING

Monday, 16 February 2026

DSS Files Suit Against El-Rufai Over Alleged Unlawful Phone Interception






The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed a criminal lawsuit against Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, alleging unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.



‎According to court documents filed earlier this week, the security agency says El-Rufai made admissions during a television interview that implicate him in offences under Nigeria’s Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.



‎The suit contains three counts:

Count One

‎The DSS alleges that on 13 February 2026, while appearing as a guest on the Prime Time Programme of Arise TV in Abuja, El-Rufai openly admitted that he and unnamed associates unlawfully intercepted the private phone communications of NSA Nuhu Ribadu. The statement is said to violate Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024, which prohibits unauthorized interception of electronic communications.



Count Two

‎The second charge claims that during the same television appearance, El-Rufai acknowledged knowing and associating with individual(s) responsible for the alleged interception but failed to report them to relevant security agencies. The DSS asserts this constitutes a breach of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.



Count Three

‎In the third count, the DSS accuses El-Rufai and others still at large of using technical equipment or systems to compromise public safety and national security by intercepting communications linked to the NSA — acts that the suit says have caused apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians. This count cites a violation of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.



‎The DSS further claims that El-Rufai’s own admissions on national television serve as evidence of the alleged offences.




No comments:

Post a Comment