Sunday 5 May 2019

READ The Last Words of Yakubu Gowon Before He Slumped During The Funeral Of David Ejoor

From left: James Ibori, Yakubu Gowon, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai, Godwin Obaseki and Ifeanyi Okowa. PHOTO: Akpokona

A former military head of state, General Yakubu Gowon, slumped during a funeral in Delta state recently

Gowon slumped mid way during an oration at the grave side of late Major General David Akpodiete Ejoor, in Ovwor-Olomu Community

- More details have emerged on what transpired at the event.

Gowon slumped mid way during an oration at the grave side of late Major General David Akpodiete Ejoor, in Ovwor-Olomu Community in Ughelli local government area of the state.

According to Vanguard, he told his friend and former minister of state for education, Olorogun Kenneth Gbagi, who he slumped in his hands, to “take me away from here” before he fell down.

A top security official quoted in the report said, “Gowon was obviously fatigued after standing for long hours during the funeral ceremonies of his former chief of army staff at Ovwor-Olomu community, Ughelli south local government area, but God used Olorogun Gbagi to save his life.

“The last words from his mouth before he collapsed were, ‘Take me away from here,’ ‘take me away from here’ and he was talking to Gbagi, who held him near his armpit as he turned to lead him out, but he unexpectedly slumped in his hands.

“There were conflicting reports over the incident because some people did not know what really happened, but the truth is that God in His miraculous ways used Olorogun Gbagi to preserve Gowon when he suddenly slumped. He fell right into the hands of Gbagi, who shielded him with his body and prevented him from falling head-over-heels.

“I was monitoring, but it was not my beat to get very close to the former head of state. However, I noticed that Gbagi, who was three persons away from Gowon, came closer to him at the point to Gowon, who had stood for several hours during the funeral oration and other military formalities.

“If not that Gbagi was standing very close to him, Gowon would have crashed straight to the ground and with metal objects around, who knows what would have happened. He (Gbagi) held him and called on soldiers and other security agents to assist him. That was when I ran towards where he was holding Gowon with others to help.

“We carried Gowon to one of the tents that has air conditioner and Gbagi started resuscitating him, he gave him a bottle of coke and another one, while stretching and massaging his legs at the same time.

“When he saw that his breathe had come back, he asked security to lead Gowon to his car and they drove him to Asaba. He was apparently not himself for hours, but I do not know if it was just exhaustion or shock for he stood for nearly four hours during the funeral ceremonies and it is not good for somebody of his age to stand for so long.”

(Written by J. Ukwu in Asaba)

No comments:

Post a Comment